- Hard Candy: Reminds us that Jesus is like a "rock," dependable.
- Peppermint Flavor: Is like the gift of spices from the wise men.
- White Candy: Stands for Jesus as the holy, sinless Son of God.
- The Letter "J": Is for the Name of Jesus, our Savior.
- Cane: Is like the staff used by the shepherds in caring for sheep. Jesus is our "Good Shepherd."
- The Color Red: Is for God’s love that sent Jesus to give his life for us on the cross.
- The Stripes: Remind us of Jesus’ suffering, his crown of thorns, the wounds in his hands and feet; and the cross on which he died.
So if anyone (FIT's overseas friends especially) has or knows about any special devotions to this patron saint of lawyers, statesmen, or politicians, let me know. As GK Chesterton correctly predicted in 1929 (before More was canonized a saint), “Thomas More is more important at this moment than at any moment since his death, even perhaps the great moment of his dying. But he is not quite so important as he will be in about a hundred years’ time.”
I am here to share that importance; but I could use your help. Candy canes (or the spiritual equivalent) for everyone who contributes!